Skip to main content

Poetry Focus On: SOPHIE F BAKER


Sophie F Baker; photo credit Simon Veit Wilson
Sophie F Baker documents the extraordinariness of the ordinary in poems, because it’s the only way she knows how. She is the recipient of an Andrew Waterhouse Award from New Writing North and an Eric Gregory Award from the Society of Authors. Her work has been published in various magazines including The Rialto, Iota, Horizon Review, Smiths Knoll, Ferment Zine and Pomegranate, and she has performed at venues around the country including Morden Tower and StAnza. She has worked at Mslexia for a number of years and lives in Gateshead. 


The Point

We’ll begin this time with the atmosphere—we’re too tired
to consider the vastness beyond. But you say no,
you are not pointing at that. I bring the focus closer
and clouds come clear—I see ducks and ice-cream cones.

But no, you say, not that not that. The tree, I think, and exasperate over
which leaf it might be you’re asking for – because it is an ask,
it seems to me, though a small one. What would I want with a leaf?
you say. What interest would I have, now, in that?

I seek the answers in surroundings. The window, perhaps,
the glass. The very thing I am taking for granted. No.
Your finger, then, the nail upon it. I set up my laugh as I search your face.
Is it that? I ask. Your head is shaking, your eyes are fading fast.

I am firmly in the room, the walls are puce, the smell a distraction
from the truth of it. My laugh is still waiting.
It must be, then, the cells of you. The failing, flailing cells of you
dividing, slowly slower. Your hand, still pointing,

wavers. Your heart beats on. Take care of the pieces, you say,
look to the future. I follow your point backwards up your arm and on
to your stubbled face. It searches mine for the answers
I am looking to you and your gesture to provide.

(originally published in The Rialto issue 71)


In memory


for LA (or LO)

Forgive me, but I am thinking of you again.
They were chopping down the tree in your old front garden
when I woke up this morning. The unknown bird
I hear sometimes will have no place to hide and sing.

I Googled you today; your online presence lists you
at your old address, your other name that rare occurrence
‘no results’ – you are lost. I watched the tree come down
in pieces and exclaimed to you, though I have no reason

to believe you care for birds. I will try just your first name,
maybe, and see where in the world you have flown.
I used to treasure my space in your life, the one last piece
of past. This must be what makes me unknowable now.

The tree is gone and I am home, the bird unsteady somewhere and in flight.
If only I could put it back, magic trunk and green from air.
As it is, I am still waiting to happen across you – perhaps
face to face in some tree-lined avenue we don’t consider home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CLIVE WILMER'S THOM GUNN SELECTED POEMS IS A MUST-READ

THAT HANDSOME MAN  A PERSONAL BRIEF REVIEW BY TODD SWIFT I could lie and claim Larkin, Yeats , or Dylan Thomas most excited me as a young poet, or even Pound or FT Prince - but the truth be told, it was Thom Gunn I first and most loved when I was young. Precisely, I fell in love with his first two collections, written under a formalist, Elizabethan ( Fulke Greville mainly), Yvor Winters triad of influences - uniquely fused with an interest in homerotica, pop culture ( Brando, Elvis , motorcycles). His best poem 'On The Move' is oddly presented here without the quote that began it usually - Man, you gotta go - which I loved. Gunn was - and remains - so thrilling, to me at least, because so odd. His elegance, poise, and intelligence is all about display, about surface - but the surface of a panther, who ripples with strength beneath the skin. With Gunn, you dressed to have sex. Or so I thought.  Because I was queer (I maintain the right to lay claim to that

IQ AND THE POETS - ARE YOU SMART?

When you open your mouth to speak, are you smart?  A funny question from a great song, but also, a good one, when it comes to poets, and poetry. We tend to have a very ambiguous view of intelligence in poetry, one that I'd say is dysfunctional.  Basically, it goes like this: once you are safely dead, it no longer matters how smart you were.  For instance, Auden was smarter than Yeats , but most would still say Yeats is the finer poet; Eliot is clearly highly intelligent, but how much of Larkin 's work required a high IQ?  Meanwhile, poets while alive tend to be celebrated if they are deemed intelligent: Anne Carson, Geoffrey Hill , and Jorie Graham , are all, clearly, very intelligent people, aside from their work as poets.  But who reads Marianne Moore now, or Robert Lowell , smart poets? Or, Pound ?  How smart could Pound be with his madcap views? Less intelligent poets are often more popular.  John Betjeman was not a very smart poet, per se.  What do I mean by smart?

"I have crossed oceans of time to find you..."

In terms of great films about, and of, love, we have Vertigo, In The Mood for Love , and Casablanca , Doctor Zhivago , An Officer and a Gentleman , at the apex; as well as odder, more troubling versions, such as Sophie's Choice and  Silence of the Lambs .  I think my favourite remains Bram Stoker's Dracula , with the great immortal line "I have crossed oceans of time to find you...".