Skip to main content

Hill Top

Eyewear believes that the English poet Geoffrey Hill (pictured) is the greatest living poet currently working in the language of Milton, and will rank with Pound and Eliot as one of the major poets writing since 1914 (that is, the last 100 years or so). I have loved his passionate, intelligent, religious poems since I came across "Genesis" by him when I was thirteen or so (he signed last evening my childhood, treasured copy of the Longman's Poetry 1900 to 1975, where I first read his work and swooned). That poem, which he wrote at the age of 20, and is the first (suitably) in his Penguin Selected, is the one that, more than any other, made me want to write poems of my own.

So, it was a treat to see him read, and talk, last night at the London Review of Books bookshop in Bloomsbury. Hill, who claimed to have taken four tranquilizer pills of some kind, was on grand (grand, not good) form. He seemed furious with the shop for having "curtailed" his reading time to 30 minutes, as he kept reminding the attentive serious audience of 80 or so, so that there would be time to sign and sell books after. It did seem odd to limit such a great poet, who wanted to read more. Hill read just four our five poems, mainly from his latest collection, A Treatise of Civil Power - "On Looking Through 50 Jahre im Bild: Bundesrepublik Deutschland", "In Memoriam: Gillian Rose" (whom he never met, but wished he had), "Before Senility" and "Coda", as well as a few from Scenes from Comus. He mostly talked. He was very open. He expressed disappointment that he was thought of as a difficult poet. He said he did not underestimate the intelligence of his readers, as recognising the intelligence of fellow citizens was a profound act of democracy. He said that his ars poetica was to forge "covenants with language // contra tyrannos".

Hill, during the rich Q & A, admitted he was working on a Death Bed version of his complete works; that he loved the work of Dylan Thomas, R.S. Thomas (he said he was proud to be partly Welsh, a fact recently uncovered), and Rosenberg; that he believed the BBC was good on holding politicians to their word, but not poets, that most contemporary poetry was "crap" and "loose"; and that he had an erotic attachment to his own work. His presence was commanding, almost magnetic. We were in the company of genius, generous, humane, wrathful and prophetic. If God was from Bromsgrove, he might be like this.

His last commandment? When asked if he had any advice for a young poet (a classic, good question, after Rilke surely). Hill: "Don't". Laughter from the room. Then, pausing, he retracted that severity, and said, poets need to read hundreds of poems, and learn them by heart.

Hill is often misread as being cold, heartless. He is not. The code to his work is in his fervent love of poetry itself. How poetry cries the miracles of God.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like your Edward Hopper background picture. He's my favorite painter.

Cheers, Chris.
EYEWEAR said…
Chris, glad you like the Hopper. I rotate my pics at the top, so Hopper will be gone soon, but back again in time, have no fear. Todd
Ms Baroque said…
I was gutted to miss this event. By the time I found out about it it was sold out. Thanks for the account.
Unknown said…
Lovely account, love the bit about him signing your treasured book. he sounds terrific and I have enjoyed the little I have read of his work - off to find some more!
Benjamin said…
I didn't get the sense that he was furious with the shop. Rashomon effect?
PITCH review said…
By the way with, 'If God was from Bromsgrove, he might be like this' are you alluding to James Dickey (1957): 'I can think of no better compliment to pay G H than to say that I was all but persuaded that, were God a very talented young poet, the six days of Creation might very well have been as the poem says they were'?

Popular posts from this blog

CLIVE WILMER'S THOM GUNN SELECTED POEMS IS A MUST-READ

THAT HANDSOME MAN  A PERSONAL BRIEF REVIEW BY TODD SWIFT I could lie and claim Larkin, Yeats , or Dylan Thomas most excited me as a young poet, or even Pound or FT Prince - but the truth be told, it was Thom Gunn I first and most loved when I was young. Precisely, I fell in love with his first two collections, written under a formalist, Elizabethan ( Fulke Greville mainly), Yvor Winters triad of influences - uniquely fused with an interest in homerotica, pop culture ( Brando, Elvis , motorcycles). His best poem 'On The Move' is oddly presented here without the quote that began it usually - Man, you gotta go - which I loved. Gunn was - and remains - so thrilling, to me at least, because so odd. His elegance, poise, and intelligence is all about display, about surface - but the surface of a panther, who ripples with strength beneath the skin. With Gunn, you dressed to have sex. Or so I thought.  Because I was queer (I maintain the right to lay claim to that

IQ AND THE POETS - ARE YOU SMART?

When you open your mouth to speak, are you smart?  A funny question from a great song, but also, a good one, when it comes to poets, and poetry. We tend to have a very ambiguous view of intelligence in poetry, one that I'd say is dysfunctional.  Basically, it goes like this: once you are safely dead, it no longer matters how smart you were.  For instance, Auden was smarter than Yeats , but most would still say Yeats is the finer poet; Eliot is clearly highly intelligent, but how much of Larkin 's work required a high IQ?  Meanwhile, poets while alive tend to be celebrated if they are deemed intelligent: Anne Carson, Geoffrey Hill , and Jorie Graham , are all, clearly, very intelligent people, aside from their work as poets.  But who reads Marianne Moore now, or Robert Lowell , smart poets? Or, Pound ?  How smart could Pound be with his madcap views? Less intelligent poets are often more popular.  John Betjeman was not a very smart poet, per se.  What do I mean by smart?

"I have crossed oceans of time to find you..."

In terms of great films about, and of, love, we have Vertigo, In The Mood for Love , and Casablanca , Doctor Zhivago , An Officer and a Gentleman , at the apex; as well as odder, more troubling versions, such as Sophie's Choice and  Silence of the Lambs .  I think my favourite remains Bram Stoker's Dracula , with the great immortal line "I have crossed oceans of time to find you...".